Anbefalte innlegg

• Svar 157
  • Opprettet
  • Siste svar

Mest aktive i denne tråden

Mest aktive i denne tråden

Postede bilder

Hi Mark

I will most probably have a set of winter studded tyres and steel rims you could use while in Norway….they aren't pretty but will do the job on hand. You could also store your tyres in my garage while you are travelling about.

Dim 235/85 r16

regards

Dean

Endret av crass
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Campbell, can you have a look at that route please. ;)

Who me ? Who are you? :huh:

There is a boat from the top of Danmark to Kristiandsand. where i live.

Hull to Brevik is the other one. (the Stavanger boat stopped many years ago).

Harwich to Esbjerg is stopping now in september.

yours

neil

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hey Cambell - Campbell is my co-pilot, haha.Was in Kritiansand last year for a week. Very wet place. :) Nice Irish bar with amazing chicken wings there!

I spent a bit of time in Norway over winter with the British Army as a mechanic, so I've done a fair bit of driving over there as well as arctic survival training, (which is just day to day living for you guys), but i must admit that was 20 years ago! I'll probably camp in a hotel carpark, then go inside when it gets too cold.

We always used studded tyres then which is why I would go for them this time. I did have a wee "off" when I put my Bedford TL truck in a ditch when I was passing a tractor coming the other way. Thankfully the tractor managed to "un-off" me and I didn't have the embarassment of turning up at camp on foot!

Our plan is to get the Immingham-Brevik ferry, but they only take 4 passengers and wont take a booking yet. Failing that we'll go via Amsterdam, but wherever I enter Norway I'll have to leave from the same place due to the tyre situation.

Pickup - I'm in Nigeria just now and really can't remember what oil I use, but I was wondering if this may be an issue given the temp??

Thanks again NLRK.......Mark.

Endret av Edinburgh Red
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

You drive a new car. You dont need to switch oil or bring starter cables. if you against all odds need cables, everyone in the north has one in the car and like helping a stranded tourist. Just buy norwegian spec diesel when you arrive in Norway. You dont really need a showel either. A tractor will pull you out. But this situation is unlikely, you drive the best 4x4xfar. Maybe an ice scrape is usefull if you dont have heated windows. your 2.2 litre has a much better heater than the older defenders so should be good. If you drove a td5 extra heating would be nice. Studed tyres is a must have though. And perhaps the coffee deal on Statoil for long journeys. :) I also think extra lights would be usefull!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hey Campbell - Campbell is my co-pilot, haha. Was in Kritiansand last year for a week. Very wet place. :) Nice Irish bar with amazing chicken wings there!

:) If you are in the area, give me a call.! :)
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I think you get the wrong impression here. Sounds like driving to Essex. It´s not. We are neighbour to crazy nuclear war lord Putins Russia.

Tell wife and friends that this is a bloody dangerous manly expedition. Fighting wild bears and drunk norwegians. Or the other way around. Whatever is worst I don´t know. You should update your will.

You will wade through 15 feet of snow in gale force wind in a country with hardly no ordinary roads but lots and lots of tollroads. Where a pint will set you back 10 pounds.

You WILL need survival gear, huge tires, winch, snowchains, all food, a shotgun and your bloodtype tattooed on your left wrist. Bring gold as many don´t take cash. The cold is so bitterly bad here even lawyers keep their hands in their own pockets.

This is a totally bad ass place. Especially in the wild west. And worst during winter. Welcome.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

bloody norwegians and drunken bears sounds like down town Bergen....

Sorry for offtopic, have to agree with the points AreM put out, extremly valid.

im sure between the lot of us, we can help u out if or when needed...

check defender2 forum, BPmann did the same run last year...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Me personally, If u land in oslo. would consider driving through sweden, at least one of the directions.

Better roads, bear is probarly cheaper and also the fuel should be... not much off a difference though :-)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks Kaldevass.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic15881-60.html

Some excellent info in there.....no fighting with drunken bear stories though?? :huh:

I'll get a sim card when I'm in Oslo in November. Any recommendations for the best coverage given my very sketchy intended route?

Mark.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Me personally, If u land in oslo. would consider driving through sweden, at least one of the directions.

Better roads, bear is probarly cheaper and also the fuel should be... not much off a difference though :-)

I would not drive through Sweden. Roads are good, but utterly boring, and it will add many more miles to the trip. The good beer you have to buy in official stores. (Systembolaget) And it is not better than norwegian beer anyway, just a wee bit cheaper.

Sweden that far north means driving hours after hours on straight good roads, with only trees to watch. Yes, you can drive for hours without seeing a single house. And, if january gets cold in Norway, say like -20, it will be -30 -35 in Sweden.

Endret av AreM
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I did consider the Swedish road, but I'm in no rush, and it's a Norwegian trip.

Hoping to take enough Tennents, (Jock beer), and Whisky with me. Hope theres no Customs members watching.

Hansa(sp) beer always gave me a very bad head. Fortunately my co-pilot/driver doesn't drink. :D

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Cheers Ivan,

I'm in no rush to get to Mo i Rana. Probably spend 3 days getting there, stay a couple of days, then head back down to Bergen/Voss area. I don't want to spend to much time sat in the Landy. As you will well know there is more comfortable places to be, haha.

Still hoping to get the Immingham - Brevik ferry, but if I need to go via Amsterdam we will have to decide which way to go from Hirtshals.

Mark.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I would undoubtedly drive through Norway on the way to Mo I Rana.

Had a trip from Bergen to Sandnessjøen for about one year ago, asolute to be reccomended :)

images can be seen here:

https://www.facebook.com/terje.abrahamsen.3/media_set?set=a.10151935887595803.1073741840.688740802&type=3

If you drop into Bergen feel free to drop in for a cup of coffee :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Will certainly look at that option Krokansjefen,

Looks like I will be able to get my studded tyres in Scotland as there is a Nokian dealer, or get Cooper pre-drilled tyres and fit the studs myself.

This means I can arrive and leave Norway wherever I want.

Thanks for the info.......Mark.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Lim inn uten formatering i stedet

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...