Gå til innhold

Winter Norway Trip

Edinburgh Red

Anbefalte innlegg

Hi Landy lovers,

I hope you don't mind me coming on to your forum for some advice?

My friend and I are planning a trip up to Mo I Rana in January in figured you can't beat local knowlege.

My plan is to arrive in Brevik, (if I can get a place on the ship), drive up to Mo I Rana, cross the Arctic Circle, then head back down to Voss and Hemsedal for a bit of skiing.

I have a few questions and would be very gratefull for any advice. :) Im expecting to arrive around the 15th Jan.

1. How long would I expect to take to drive from Oslo to Mo I Rana at that time of the year?

2. Should the road from Voss to Oslo be open?

3. I'm planning to fly over to Oslo in January to arrange some studded tyres to collect for my trip when I arrive in January. Any dealers I could contact in Brevik or Oslo that speak English would be very helpfull.

4. I realise I will have to change my coolant, but any other preparation advice for the truck would be great. I have a 2013 Defender 90.

I can't wait to come over again. I spent a winter back in 1994 in Voss and totally fell in love with the country, but I havent been back since.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Mark.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• Svar 157
  • Opprettet
  • Siste svar

Mest aktive i denne tråden

Mest aktive i denne tråden

Postede bilder

Hi Mark,

Their are 3 main roads over the mountains to Oslo so the chances are at least one will be open, most are, only in extreme weather are they closed.

Have a sleeping bag and ability to make hot drinks / food if the mountain passes are closed, you may be stuck for some hours or days.

Enjoy your trip

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi.

1. It will take about 13 hours from Oslo to Mo i rana.

2. It`s normaly open, but occenialy it`s closed due to bad weather.

3. Language is not a problem, but you could order your studed tires up front thru www.dekkonline.com and choose a selected dealer nearby( your adress in oslo ) for installation on the time of your arrival. You probably will save alot £.

4. A 2013 Defender is surely set up with 50 / 50 coolant whereever your location is, so no need to change coolant either. Better check that your wiper wash fluid is at low enough freeze level.

and check your ski clothes, mid january in Hemsedal, its a cold place ;)

welcome, best regards Brage

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Mark

Sounds like a nice trip!

I live in Hemsedal so you can give me a notice when you are close to Hemsedal and I can give you advice regarding the mountain passes ( I work on the mountain pass managing the convoys when the weather is bad). If there is bad weather it depends very much on the wind directions which mountain pass is affected..

And as stated above, the temperature can be on the chilly side up here in january so bring warm clothes. If you need any advice regarding accommodation in Hemsedal let me know, and I can give you some advice..

If you do any off- piste skiing I`m happy to show you some nice places for that, depending on the snow conditions.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Guys,

Thank you so much for the info....I can see the language won't be an issue then as Norwegians seem to speak better English than we Scots.

If I buy studded tyres, can I remove the studs when I get home? I'll check out dekkonline.

Darcy......my friend is a very competent skier for a Scotsman, but I prefer to stick to pistes, haha.

Thanks again and hopefully can offer any of you a wee dram when I get there.

Cheers, Mark.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Change your coolant.It is probably too old anyway.

A good battery and a tow strap, are on my list of winterpreps.

You can usually manage quite well with studfree wintertyres.

We call them piggfrie vinterdekk.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

If you buy studded tires, you can remove the studs with a screwdriver.

About where to get tires - I wouldn't bother coming here beforehand. I'd order a set of tires beforehand by a local tireshop between brevik <-> porsgrunn and arrange for them to change the wheels when you arrive. I'm sure you also can arrange for your existing tires to be stored there for the reminder of your trip, so when you're heading back to brevik, just stop by and pick up your old tires on the way home.

Bring empty rims, or rims with useless tires. We can find you a dealer in the area, I just don't have any on the tip of my tounge now.

Edit: By the way, http://nomax.no/ have very cheap tires (in Drammen) but I know nothing about the service there. These tires are eastern europe imports I believe, so i don't think you'll find studded tires there either.

Endret av valvolainen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I appreciate that. The recce trip in November is just an excuse to the wife so I can get away for a weekend. :)

I was just having a look on the website mentioned before for tyres but I couldn't understand it. :wacko:

Good idea about the rims though....got beadlocks fitted and the tyres take ages to change!!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

You can also talk to AJS tyres down in London area about the wintrac extrems he gets good feed back on Disco sizes and you can use them up over the wall year round rather then pulling the studs on a studded tyre.

http://www.reigate-tyres.co.uk/

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi,

Remember to change window fluid spray also....And I would have brought a short snow showel, best to buy in a hardware store in Norway. You also need a "is-skrape"(to take away ice in the morning from window) and a "snø-kost"(to brush away snow from the car) you get those at any gas-station in Norway.

Due to temprature differences, could be need for a "kondens fjerner" (remove water from diesel/gas) also at ant gas-station. (Winter diesel in norway have addetives in it during winter but in some conditions could be handy)

Sounds like a great trip:-)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks again.....all advice has been taken onboard! My list is getting bigger.

If I can't get on the Imminghan - Brevik boat, and I need to go Newcastle - Amsterdam, any recommendations which would be the best route to take from Amsterdam to Norway?

Planning a 12-14 day trip and don't want to spend too much of it outside Norway.

Cheers, Mark.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Amsterdam> Hirtshals then ferry to either Stavanger or Kristiansand. Depending which gives you a better

starting point. The west coast of Norway is a must see, really.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

May well take you up on that offer.....thanks.

I've been speaking to a Norwegian lad onboard who recommended and engine pre-heater.

I would prefer not to, but as we plan to do a bit of camping, I don't want to get stuck somewhere if I can't get the engine started.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mark.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

2,2 will start without preheating to be completely honest, but with a webasto, its defrosted and toasty inside aswell.

If your heading up the west coast Tea can be drunk in Bergen 2 if Im around

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I've been speaking to a Norwegian lad onboard who recommended and engine pre-heater.

I would prefer not to, but as we plan to do a bit of camping, I don't want to get stuck somewhere if I can't get the engine started.

Well they are expensive, I wouldn`t install it, just for one trip to Norway ( its not Sibir ^_^ ).

All you need is the thing mentioned before, a bromstick, a shovel, an ice scrape, good clothing, jumper cables, tires and some low temp antifreeze wiper fluid.

Your iphone and some backup credit on your mastercard, an you be safe.

If you get in to some problems, just visit this forum and Im sure you get the help you need asap ;) .

Best regards Brage

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

And remember to fill up your fuel tank when you arrive to stay in a new place. Like EvenW mentions, local diesel has additives for local temperatures. Be sure that your glow plugs are not too old, rather than spending money on a Webasto or Eberspächer for 14 days use... ;)

Other important things already mentioned by the motley crew in here.

:D

Endret av LANDreas
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

You also have the Harwich -Esbjerg ferry, from Denmark you have the choice of Landing in Oslo, Brevik, Kristiansand, Stavanger or Bergen.

Check out The folowing ferry companies;

Color line

Fjord line

DFDS Seaways

Stena Line

Regarding tyres, decide on which port you want to land in and post it here, and I am sure somebody in that area wil help you out.

Maybe a good idea to come over with expendable tyres on your car, and fitt the winter tyres here in Norway. If you choose the studless type, they are also legal in the Uk, but not realy suitable when temperatures are above 10 degrees C.

Winter camping is funn but require a lot of resarch if you do not have any experience, i.e do not embark on this unless you do research.

And keep in tuch wit this forum wherever you are in Norway, chanses are someone nerby can assist you :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Regarding the time it takes to drive from Oslo to Mo i Rana in January, 13 hours is a very optimistic estimate. The distance is around 1000 km, which in a Defender is a rather long drive, no matter what roads you are on. January can mean temperatures as low as -30, as well as snow, rain, and foreign truck drivers not used to winter conditions stuck in the ditch with a 50 ton truck and you have to que up for hours while they get recovered. In cases like that, you'll be happy having brought hot coffee with you.

You also have a SWB car, so your ability to countersteer when you loose traction in an icy curve should be close to a WRC driver. A LWB car is much easier to control on slippery roads. When a SWB Defender looses traction on winter roads, things happen very very quickly. Studded tyres combined with a non-agressive driving style is highly recommended. Your electronic wizardry might help you a bit, but, as Scotty says, "you cannae defy the laws of physics, captain."

Endret av AreM
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

You also have the Harwich -Esbjerg ferry, from Denmark you have the choice of Landing in Oslo, Brevik, Kristiansand, Stavanger or Bergen.

Check out The folowing ferry companies;

Color line

Fjord line

DFDS Seaways

Stena Line

Regarding tyres, decide on which port you want to land in and post it here, and I am sure somebody in that area wil help you out.

Maybe a good idea to come over with expendable tyres on your car, and fitt the winter tyres here in Norway. If you choose the studless type, they are also legal in the Uk, but not realy suitable when temperatures are above 10 degrees C.

Winter camping is funn but require a lot of resarch if you do not have any experience, i.e do not embark on this unless you do research.

And keep in tuch wit this forum wherever you are in Norway, chanses are someone nerby can assist you :)

No he won't. The only way is to drive round to Denmark from the end of this month.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Lim inn uten formatering i stedet

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...