Gå til innhold

Keithr

Anbefalte innlegg

Hallo, I am writing to you from the U.K! I have owned a1955 series 1 since 2015, which I bought from Trondheim. The vehicle was exported in 1955 as an export model to Autoindustri, who were the importers of Land Rover in the 50s. 

I am trying to find any history or photographs of the vehicle, and the Land Rover series ones club here drew a blank. It was registered U5586 when I bought it, but I don’t know if the registration belongs to the vehicle like in the U.K., or if it gets a new number when registered with each new owner. 

The car was owned from new by the electricity board (Nord-Trøndelag) in Trondheim and it spent it's first 10 years on an island called Ytterøya - I guess that explains the low mileage! It was then bought by a man called Rolf Kvarner and driven 150km (the longest journey of it's entire life) to his family cabin where it has been stood ever since. It has spent 49 years in a garage at the cabin and been used occasionally for collecting wood when the family were there on holiday.

it underwent some renovation by the guy who bought it from Rolf, however he sold it within a year and it moved to Yorkshire, England. 

I’d really appreciate any history and photos of the vehicle, or land rovers being used by the Trondheim electricity board, especially on the island. 

Thank you in anticipation,

Takk skal du ha

Keith

AC3C32A3-AC1B-41EB-8875-29174507B49F.jpeg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Keith,

This is what i found on the vehicle on the registration pages.

Registration Data

Registration            U-5586
Brand and model            COUNTRY ROVER 86
Vehicle Group            PRODUCT CAR KL 1 (N1)
Registration            1955
Number of seats            2
Colour                Undisclosed
Vehicle Identification number    57133045
Registered first time in Norway    06/04/1955
Registered first time on owner    08/14/2014
Registered in district        Trondheim
conservation Worthy        no
constructed            no
used Imported            no
Top speed            Undisclosed

emissions

environmental class        Undisclosed
particulate filter        Undisclosed
Co2 emissions            Undisclosed
NOx emissions            Undisclosed

Weights and Measures

Length                358 cm
Width                159 cm
Wheelbase            0 cm
Curb weight            1 225 kg
Specific gravity with driver    1 300 kg
Allowed total weight        1 600 kg
Max payload              300 kg
Max-weight trailer with brake        0 kg
Max-weight trailer u / brake        0 kg
Max weight on trailer link        0 kg
Maximum vehicle weight            0 kg
Max load load            Undisclosed
Max axle load in front            0 kg
Max axle load rear            0 kg
Air suspension            no

Engine / transmission

Displacement                0 cm3
fuel                Gasoline
Fuel consumption        Undisclosed
Engine Power / Power        0.00 KW (0 HP)
Number of axles            2
Number of axles with operation    1

Tyre rims

Tire in front (standard)    6.00 X 16
Tire Rear (Standard)        6.00 X 16
Speed index            Undisclosed
Front load index        
Rear Load Index
Inpress front            0 mm
Inpress rear            0 mm

I used google translate for convenience, so it might be a little odd. :o

You can look it up yourself, but it is in norwegian.

https://www.vegvesen.no/kjoretoy/kjop+og+salg/kjøretøyopplysninger?registreringsnummer=U5586

Endret av jon71
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Jon, I have a copy of the Norwegian registration document, but this is useful, thank you. Does the registration number stay with the vehicle in Norway - would the Landy have had the same registration number since 1955?

keith

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It would most often than not keep the same registration since new. Yours seem like the original plate. If you ring up Statens veivesen, they can give you the complete history.

Although it looks like you've got the whole history of the car already.

Hope someone can have some old pictures for you. Have you checked this thread? Its about newer plate cars, but there is some older pictures there if i remember correctly.

Endret av krokansjefen
Engelsken er ikke like stødig lengre..
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

U 5586 is probably not its original number.

It is not unusual that people change to numbers that relate to model,production year , owners birthday  and so on.

My opinion of this, on cars with history, is not printable.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you For the heads up regarding the museum, I have written to them to ask for any information they may have. 

And i I must be a little slow - I hadn’t realised u5586 was the year and wheelbase!

keith

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The original registration number is probably V179xx. Statens Vegvesen should be able to tell you the last two digits. My S1 was regitered first time on the same day as yours.

Here is an interresting thread for you. You may use a translator or just look at the pictures.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi wild Rover, that’s an amazing coincidence regarding the registration dates. When I got the Land Rover it had had some renovation and was pretty much in the condition it’s in today. I’ve just done usual maintenance things like getting the brakes to work, propshaft, oil leaks, tuning, replacement wheels and tyres etc. 

Here are some pictures of the Land Rover in the U.K.  The aerial shot of the beach is from this weekends 70th birthday celebration on Anglesey in north wales, the birth place of the Land Rover in 1948. I’m making up the floor under the front wheel!

No plans to sell, but I’ll give you first option

I’m thinking of restoring it to its HTE colours, an orange Land Rover would be fun! There are traces of the colour on the tailgate and door seal rubbers. It would be a good connection to Norway. Perhaps I should drive it to Ytterøya one day on a pilgrimage - that would be fun.  

Are you a member of the Land Rover series one club? Www.lrsoc.com. 

8F2A5F65-FE37-4606-934A-E875BB3A947D.jpeg

83E3C2E3-5465-49A3-8049-0379FE2369E1.jpeg

B99E1376-16A2-4112-B341-429A97CE779B.jpeg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Very nice car. Looks like it's come to a good home. I agree with restoring it to the original colour, been thinking about maybe doing the same with mine some day too.

Thanks for the link to LRSOC, will definitively check it out.

Here's mine btw. Two years since the last update, guess it's time to do something again soon..

Endret av WildRover
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I remember very well when this car was on the market. I had just bought my first S1 only a couple of weeks before, a much more rubbish car, but anyway...bought. So I could not consider another one. But....I have been dreaming about this car very often since. It has just the right look and patina. 

Nice to see the pics and read your stories. 

I used to be member of LRSOC for years, they have the best club magazine ever!!

My car is sold to a guy I know, now in excellent condition, been total restored here in my neighborhood. 

35300600_1558812860907973_4232787942059278336_n.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

11 timer siden, Keithr skrev:

Hi Keithr,

I remember this car from the article in Legend, or was it Classic Land Rover?

Further, the image above, is that from the LRSOC LR70 this last weekend?

Robert (ex S1, with heavy heart, but still LRSOC)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes the picture is from the 70th anniversary rally last weekend. In 1947 Wilks drew the sketch of the Land Rover in the beach at red wharf bay on Anglesey, north wales, and it is to this spiritual home of the birth of the Land Rover that people descend. 

Over 400 Land Rover series 1s attended the rally, from across Europe including Norway. 

Wild rover, was your vehicle a NTE vehicle?

Does anyone know if they were sign written with a logo in the 1950s, and if so what it was?

keith

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

2 timer siden, Keithr skrev:

Wild rover, was your vehicle a NTE vehicle?

Yes, it was. From 1955 to 1968, maybe working side by side with yours. I have however no idea whether mine was stationed at Ytterøya or someplace else in Nord-Trøndelag.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

History lesson from the NTE website, Accessibility was an issue one can read :

link: http://timeline.nte.no/?paged=2

Assume the text below can be translated online.

ASBJØRN NERGÅRD OM ARBEIDSSITUASONEN RUNDT 1960

Jeg ble ansatt i en midlertidig stilling som anleggsingeniør i 1960, og jobben ble planlegging av fordelingsnett, prosjektering, og anleggsledelse. Det ble etter hvert to stikningslag som jobbet hele året, noe som førte til mye bilkjøring, ca. 60- til 70 000 km. i året.

Jobben var krevende. Delvis var det nye ting for meg og «sjefen» krevde gode løsninger, men han ga frie hender og ansvar så jobben var virkelig interessant. Et ganske vanlig problem i elektrifiserte områder var for svak spenning. Strømforbruket økte og spesielt lavspentnettet var både for svakt dimensjonert og hadde for lange linjer. Oppdeling av transformatorkretser og opp dimensjonering ble derfor et stort arbeidsområde, ikke minst i de siste kommunale e.verkene som ble med i NTE.

Transport av alt materiellet ble tilbudt en som hadde utstyr for slikt oppdrag. Dette var ofte store jobber idet egnet utskutt stein i bestemt mengde og form, stolper, traverser, isolatorer og en god del annet måtte fraktes til de merkede stolpepunktene. Utskutt stein ble brukt som ”steinlås” for å feste mastene i stolpehullet. Det ble nyttet hest, traktor og bensindrevne vinsjer som e.verket lånte ut. Vinsjene var både en- og to-tromlet slik at en kunne bygge løypestreng. Anleggsarbeidet pågikk hele året og ble derfor ganske varierende. Det hendte at arbeid ble stoppet p.g.a. store snømengder og derav mye snømåking for å finne igjen tidligere utkjørt materiell. Snøfres ble også brukt.

Til transporthjelp for linjemontørene har det fra 50-tallet vært prøvd og brukt forskjellige motoriserte «doninger». «MotoStandard» med belter og vinsj, var vel den første, og det ble flere, men alle hadde svakheter i konstruksjon og fremkommelighet. Snøscooteren ble etter hvert vanlig og en god hjelp vinters tid.

Linjebygging var et tungt arbeid selv om det etter hvert kom hjelpemidler. Oftest var linjetraseene ute i terrenget, og det var en del tungt utstyr som måtte bæres mellom stolpefestene: Bergbormaskin ofte med 4 bor og drivstoff, spett og spader, stolpereiser og tauverk, wirespill og dagens matrasjon.

NTE IMAGE.JPG

Endret av robertsoevik
NTE image from website link above
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Very interesting. The odometer of my lr shows 63000 km, which I am told is genuine - having been used on an island with 30km of road keeps the mileage down!

my lr was owned by nte from 1955 to 1967, Trondheim district. 

keith

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 uker senere...
På 26.6.2018 den 21.54, Keithr skrev:

Hi wild Rover, that’s an amazing coincidence regarding the registration dates. When I got the Land Rover it had had some renovation and was pretty much in the condition it’s in today. I’ve just done usual maintenance things like getting the brakes to work, propshaft, oil leaks, tuning, replacement wheels and tyres etc. 

Here are some pictures of the Land Rover in the U.K.  The aerial shot of the beach is from this weekends 70th birthday celebration on Anglesey in north wales, the birth place of the Land Rover in 1948. I’m making up the floor under the front wheel!

No plans to sell, but I’ll give you first option

I’m thinking of restoring it to its HTE colours, an orange Land Rover would be fun! There are traces of the colour on the tailgate and door seal rubbers. It would be a good connection to Norway. Perhaps I should drive it to Ytterøya one day on a pilgrimage - that would be fun.  

Are you a member of the Land Rover series one club? Www.lrsoc.com. 

8F2A5F65-FE37-4606-934A-E875BB3A947D.jpeg

83E3C2E3-5465-49A3-8049-0379FE2369E1.jpeg

We should have met. My Series I (A-58841) was also in the waves under the front wheel on that photo. Road driven, exept some ferries, from Norway.

IMG_1228.JPG

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 uker senere...

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Lim inn uten formatering i stedet

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...