Gå til innhold

Studding New Tyres

Anbefalte innlegg

Folks,

I bought some Cooper Discoverer M+S tyres in anticipation of taking my 110 out here earlier this year. Never happened, still being fixed up in Tayside Land Rovers, long story but it has been there for a while.

The tyres are described as follows: Item:

Cooper Discoverer M+S 235/85 R16 120/116Q 10PR , studdable BSW BSW They have the snowflake mountain symbol on them.

Anyway, the plan was just to come out here on them and just run them as "summer" tyres as I bought them in the UK through mytyres.co,uk. Not sure which part of Europe they are from but thought they would probably survive summer use although not ideal. Anyone used this tyre in hotter weather, I used winter tyres all year on my van in the UK as they were better on wet roads than the commercial tyres it came with as it was always run almost empty.

As winter tyres for next winter I plan to buy some piggdekk, The 110 is 31 year old so no ABS so a bit safer!

But can I get the Coopers studded. When I was a teenager the tyre dealers in Inverness could stud tyres, we used them a lot as we spent a lot of time going back and forth to Skye in the winter, and it used to be cold and snowy back then. It was a long time ago.................. late 70's early 80's. No one does it in the UK now that I know of.

Is there anyone in the Stavanger area who can stud tyres at a reasonable cost, yes I know at a reasonable cost may be a strange comment but you never know?

I might just buy some AT summer tyres if the Coopers are too soft for summer use, it may be as hot as last year, you never know, and get some Nokian piggdekk next winter.

Comments and advice please.

Endret av Glenbrittle
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes, I had heard that, but I have seen a few people using them in the winter. One in stavanger with studs, one in Hemsedal without.

http://www.coopertire.co.uk/tyres/off-road-4x4/winter/discoverer-m-s

Without studs I do not want to use them in winter over here, OK in snow down to -20C but not on ice I read. Might be OK with studs.

Anyone on here who has used them in the winter?

Looks like I might just use them as summer tyres, I don't plan to do a lot of miles and still have a Golf for running around in.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Glen.

Normally the Tire shops will be able to stud them tires for you, just ask around. But if you have used the tires for half a season they need to drill new holes, and they might not wanna do that.

Also, I can asure you it`s pricey.

Best regards Brage

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...

Used Cooper Discoverer M+S without studs on my old car (Nissan Pathfinder) for a couple of winters. Didn't have any problems with them. But unlike your car, the Pathfinder had both traction control and ABS. :)

But they were more than good enough to pull both small SUVs and vans out of various ditches and snow mounds. Like most studless tyres, they were not very good on ice with water on top, but I think they were fairly good on both snow, gravel, and paved roads. Even wet roads, which is often a little spooky with winter tyres.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 uker senere...

I used "supatracks" screw in studs in Discoverer tyres during my January trip to Norway.

Took a couple of hours to fit 480 studs to the 4 tyres on the dockside at Immingham, and about 1hr to remove them in a Stavanger garage on my way home.

Still running the same tyres on the truck now. Picked the studs up just outside Stirling.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Lim inn uten formatering i stedet

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...